Fairy Tales 2010

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Cinderella and Donkeyskin

I definitely think that these stories should be read and studied together. I think that paying attention to the similarities and differences of these two fairy tales can give a lot of insight into the society that accepts one and/or the other. Tartar claims that, "The two plots can be seen as conveniently dovetailing to produce and intrigue that corresponds to the oedipal fantasies of girls." Each story suppresses one of these components, love for the father and hatred for the mother. For example when reading " All Kinds Of Fur" and the Cinderella stories I noticed countless parallels that involved incestuous father or the evil stepmother. For example, in All-Kinds of Fur, the King will do anything to get the daughter to marry him, buying her the most beautiful dresses. On the other hand, in Grimm's Cinderella, the jealous stepmother will do anything in her power to keep her away from the ball. Both characters have these intense desires toward their daughter whether it be fervent love or jealousy and they are both willing to go to extreme measures. Basically, these stories mirror each other so much as they are centered on the beautiful girl, but they are really fueled by these two different characters', evil stepmother and unnatural father, desires.

I think its interesting and important to study both of these texts especially in relation to our own society, as we choose to retell the Cinderella story rather than the Donkeyskin story. Do we feel more comfortable with women being the evil villians rather than this "unnatural" father? I know that the father's proposal to the girl in Donkeyskin made me a little bit uncomfortable, but is that just because I have been brought up in the world of Disney where something like that is unheard of? I think its crucial to ask why these Cinderella stories have persisted while the Donkeyskin stories have kind of been on the back burner. I would also be interested to know whether some sort of society accepts the Donkeyskin version as opposed to the Cinderella one.


1 comment:

  1. I actually was not that alarmed by the father's proposal to the daughter. I'm not sure if that is because I expected it or if that is because from my experience, the frequency of patriarchal abuse is greater. Either way, it is interesting to watch the way these fairy tales continue, morph or discontinue in different societies. It gives us all an opportunity to explore the psychology of the mind and the unique needs and concerns of different cultures.

    ReplyDelete