Fairy Tales 2010

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Propp vs. Aarne and Thompson

I thought that our discussion in class about the classification of fairy tales was really interesting particularly because as I have been reading a lot of the fairy tales I have kind of been trying to figure out which ones fit together and have common themes. It was interesting to read about two different people who tried to classify these fairy tales but in a very different way. Although the work of Aarne and Thompson is impressive, I think that I would agree with the way that Propp classifies fairy tales. Although Aarne and Thompson pick up on motifs that are important to not in fairy tales, they have thousands of motifs that they have come up with so the process of classifing and grouping fairy tales really doesn't have much of a point. On the other hand, Propp classifies his fairy tales by the actions that are in the stories. This seems like a much more effective way. Still though, he has 31 functions all of which are hard to keep in memory while reading the fairy tales. I think that the most effective way to classify these fairy tales is by the shortened Propp technique, the protagonist has a lack of something, that lack of something leads them to a quest, on the quest a magical helper is encountered, the protagonist is subject to one or more tests, and then their is some sort of reward for the completion of this test. I think for the most part when classifying fairy tales this is the quickest, most effective way to classify and think about the story while you are reading and taking mental notes.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I wrote something very similar in my blog. I like the shortened Propp technique to classify fairy tales. It does seem to be the "quickest, most effective way to classify." I do not necessarily think that we always want just a quick, easy way to classify a fairy tale, but I believe that it is a good start to classifying fairy tales. Then, if you want to get more in depth, you can begin to break up the fairy tales into types and compare fairy tales within the same type... or even compare the different types of fairy tales. When I say different types of fairy tales, I mean what we described in class, such as the brothers who get turned into birds. Yet, I agree with you that listing all 40000 motifs is not a good way to study fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the statement that you made regarding your belief in the pointlessness of classifying fairytales. Classifying fairytales contradicts Propp's definition of folk tales as living, and changing organisms that are subject to the influences of current events. To classify a fairy tale is to confine it to a static status because in order to classify something it must have properties that will not change. (so that it can be classified) Nevertheless, if I had to chose between the two classification styles I would pick Propp's simpler method as well.

    ReplyDelete