Fairy Tales 2010

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The transformation that takes place within the Juniper Tree I believe is different from the other transformation stories based on two main facts. The first is that the boy is dead before he becomes a bird in the Juniper Tree. In the other stories the boys that get transformed are always alive and then transformed. The fact that the boy is dead and then becomes a bird in the Juniper Tree leads me to believe that the bird is meant to be the physical manifestation of the soul/angel/ ghost or whatever else you would like to call it. This leads me to the second difference, which is that the brother does all the work to be converted back into human form. The sister does her part at the beginning by burying the bones, but that aside, the boy does all the work. In the other brothers into birds stories the sister has to go through some tumultuous trial, usually over the course of several years, to finally turn the brothers back into humans. In the Juniper Tree it seems as if the boy takes one to two days max before he is reborn as his old self.

2 comments:

  1. I think you bring up quite a few good points here. First, I completely agree that the transformation is more of a transfer of his soul into a new physical self. We don't typically deal with that in other fairy tales (or of course that he makes the plan to transform back). I also hadn't thought about the shorter timeline, which I think would be interesting to elaborate a little more on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is similar to what I wrote about, so I agree. I did find your argument very interesting about how the brother has to turn himself. I had not thought about it. Although, it does appear that he definitely needed his sister in order to transform. So, maybe I would say that in The Juniper Tree, a collaboration is needed between brother and sister, whereas in other stories where the brothers turn into birds, the sister does all the work. This could also tie into Hansel and Gretel, where a collaboration is needed to defeat the witch. I do not know what this means for these stories, but it is interesting.

    ReplyDelete