Fairy Tales 2010

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Very Different Little Red Riding Hood story



Here is a video that I found rather entertaining. My roommate and I were laughing as we were watching. First, I had no clue what this had to do with Little Red Riding Hood. This is not your typical "Little Red Riding Hood" story. I wanted to post it, however, because it draws upon the story. If you are not familiar with the story, you will not understand the ending of this video. This shows how influential this story is - the people who made this film automatically assumed that people would understand it. Not only that, but this portrays the girl to be extremely sexual and promiscuous, which is somewhat similar to the original stories, but this takes it to a different level. Also, little red is able to cut open the wolf and retrieve her grandmother unharmed in this film, which is the same as other stories.
This film also made me wonder if it is merely an alternate ending to the story, or if it is a sequel. If it is a sequel, what story is it based on where the wolf eats the grandmother, and little red is able to escape without harm to the wolf? Either way, this film portrays Little Red as smart and manipulative. She uses her promiscuity to defeat the wolf. This is different from the older stories because in those stories, the wolf makes the girl take off her clothes, and uses that for his own gains. Now, the tables have turned. I thought that was interesting.

3 comments:

  1. I saw this version too! I agree, the whole time I was wondering how it was little red riding hood at all and then of course with a strip tease and a quick stabbing, there she is! It's true what you said: if people were not familiar with this story as the significant cultural artifact it is, this video wouldn't make any sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one made me laugh! I was so confused the whole time though until the end. I agree with both of you in that its something that one would only know about if you were familiar with the story. I really the way that they didn't tell you anything until the end! It's almost like you are being tricked like LRRH too! She is definitely portrayed in as witty and promiscuous in this version but in a very untraditional way that makes connections to our society today (stipper poles and costumes).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This version made me so uncomfortable! Little Red Riding Hood really does dominate the wolf with her seductive power. Not only does she tantalize the wolf, but LRRH is able to seduce the wolf so completely that he surrenders himself to her which allows her to passionately stab him over, and over again. I agree that the sexualizing and cunning portrayal of LRRH is amplified in this version, and that this bluntly highlights issues regarding young women in our culture today.

    ReplyDelete